No, you do not necessarily need a smartwatch to use Google Fit. Google Fit is a health and fitness tracking platform that can be used on any Android device, including smartphones and tablets, without the need for a smartwatch. However, using a smartwatch can enhance the Fit experience by providing additional data such as heart rate, step count, and distance traveled.
Some smartwatches also have built-in GPS, which can be useful for tracking outdoor activities such as running or cycling. Additionally, some smartwatches can sync data with Google Fit automatically, making it easier to track your fitness goals and progress. However, it is not a requirement to have a smartwatch to use it, and the platform can be used effectively without one.
Table of Contents
What is Google Fit?
Just in case you are new to the subject, Google Fit is a health and fitness tracking platform developed by Google. It is designed to help individuals monitor their physical activity, set fitness goals, and lead a healthier lifestyle. Fit is available as a mobile app for both Android and iOS devices, as well as a web-based interface.
The primary purpose of the service is to collect and organize data related to your physical activities and health metrics. It uses various sensors and sources to track your movements, such as steps taken, distance traveled, and calories burned. Google Fit can integrate with a wide range of devices, including smartphones, smartwatches, fitness trackers, and other connected health devices.
Key features and functionalities include:
- Activity Tracking: Google Fit uses your device’s built-in sensors or connected wearable devices to monitor your activity levels throughout the day. It can track various activities like walking, running, cycling, and more.
- Heart Rate Monitoring: If your device supports it, Google Fit can also track your heart rate during workouts or throughout the day, providing insights into your cardiovascular health and intensity of exercise.
- Goal Setting: You can set personal fitness goals within the app, such as a target number of steps, active minutes, or calories burned. Google Fit provides progress tracking and reminders to help you stay motivated.
- Data Visualization: The app offers visual representations of your fitness data, including graphs and charts, allowing you to monitor your progress over time and understand trends in your activity levels.
- Integration with Third-Party Apps and Devices: Google Fit can sync data with various popular fitness apps and devices, creating a comprehensive overview of your health and fitness activities in one place.
- Insights and Recommendations: Based on your activity data, Google Fit provides insights and recommendations to help you make informed decisions about your health and fitness routines.
- Automatic Tracking: Google Fit can automatically detect certain activities like walking, running, and cycling without requiring manual input, making it convenient to track your workouts.
How to set it up for use
- Download the app to your smartphone from Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
- Sign in to your Google account on the app. If you do not already have a Google account, you will be presented with the option to create one.
- Approve the necessary permissions required by the app.
- Select your preferred activity and set up your daily or weekly or monthly target, and you are good to go. The app has many features that can be a little overwhelming to use at first. If you find it so, I recommend that you simply use it as is – the app’s main page displays your heart points, steps, distance covered, and calories burnt for the day.
Some popular smartwatches and fitness trackers that are compatible with Google Fit
There are many popular fitness tracker brands that are compatible with Google Fit. Here are a few examples:
- Fitbit: Fitbit devices are among the most popular fitness trackers on the market. They can be synced with the Google Fit app to track your steps, distance, calories burned, and more.
- Garmin: Garmin makes a variety of fitness trackers and smartwatches that are compatible with Google Fit. These devices can track your workouts, monitor your heart rate, and more.
- Samsung: Samsung’s Galaxy Watch and Galaxy Fit devices are compatible as well. These devices can track your steps, calories burned, and workouts.
- Huawei: Huawei’s Watch GT and Band devices are also compatible with Google Fit. They can track your steps, heart rate, and sleep, among other metrics. The Huawei Band 6 is an affordable fitness tracker that is compatible with Google Fit. It can track your heart rate, sleep, workouts, and more. It also has a long battery life of up to two weeks.
- Xiaomi: Xiaomi’s Mi Band and Amazfit devices are affordable fitness trackers that can be synced with the Fit app to track your activity. For example, the Xiaomi Mi Band 6 is an affordable fitness tracker that offers a lot of features for the price. It can track your steps, heart rate, sleep, and workouts, and it has a battery life of up to two weeks.
Affordable smartwatches and fitness trackers that are compatible with Google Fit
Wearable devices come in a wide range of price tags. Models from Apple and Samsung, for example, are some of the priciest in the market. If you are on a budget and are looking for something much more affordable, there are several affordable fitness trackers that are compatible with Google Fit. Here are three options you might consider:
- Xiaomi Mi Band 6: The Xiaomi Mi Band 6 is an affordable fitness tracker that offers a lot of features for the price. It can track your steps, heart rate, sleep, and workouts, and it has a battery life of up to two weeks. The Mi Band 6 is also compatible, so you can sync your data to the app.
- Huawei Band 6: The Huawei Band 6 is another affordable fitness tracker that is compatible with Google Fit. It can track your heart rate, sleep, workouts, and more. It also has a long battery life of up to two weeks.
- Amazfit Bip U Pro: The Amazfit Bip U Pro is a budget-friendly fitness tracker with a built-in GPS, which is a rare feature in this price range. It can track your steps, heart rate, sleep, and workouts, and it has a battery life of up to nine days.