An extra long phone charger is one that has a charging cable that is longer than the standard charging cable that comes with your device. How long are extra long charger cables? They typically range from 6 to 10 feet in length, and some are even as long as 20 feet.
The length of a standard phone charging cable is typically around 3-4 feet (0.9-1.2 meters). This length is usually sufficient for charging your phone while it is plugged into a power outlet that is located nearby. Most cell phone retail boxes include a standard length cable.
There is a 3rd type of charging cable, though: the short type. A short phone charging cable is typically around 1-2 feet (0.3-0.6 meters) in length. These cables are designed to be more portable and convenient for travel, as they take up less space and are easier to pack. Short charging cables are also useful for charging your phone while it is connected to a laptop or power bank that’s located close by. Usually, short cables come with phone accessories like earbuds and and smartwatches.
Table of Contents
Are longer charging cables better?
The correct answer to that is, It depends. For example, an extra long charging cable allows you to use your phone while charging but also has more resistance to electricity current than standard and short cables do. Let’s look at the benefits and demerits of longer charging cables.
Benefits of extra long phone charger cable
There are two main benefits of an extra long charger. Those are:
- Increased flexibility: With an extra long phone charger, you can charge your device from a greater distance, giving you more flexibility and freedom to use your device while it’s charging.
- Convenience: An extra long charger can be especially convenient if you have limited access to power outlets or if the outlet is located far away from where you want to use your device.
An extra-long phone charger can be a useful accessory for anyone who wants more flexibility and convenience when charging their devices. I own a 6-foot extra long phone charger cable that I use when I absolutely have to use my smartphone with the utmost convenience while it is charging.
Disadvantages of extra long charger cables
While extra long phone chargers have some benefits, they also have some potential disadvantages. Here are some of the disadvantages of using them:
- Higher resistance and Slower charging speeds: Longer cables can cause a drop in voltage, which can result in slower charging speeds. This means that it may take longer to charge your device with an extra-long charger than with a shorter one.
- Signal interference: Longer cables can also cause signal interference, which can lead to slower data transfer speeds and reduced call quality.
- Tangles and knots: Extra-long cables can be more prone to tangles and knots, which can be frustrating and time-consuming to untangle.
- Durability issues: While some extra-long chargers are made with high-quality materials, others may be more prone to damage and wear and tear over time.
- Higher cost: Extra long phone chargers can be more expensive than standard-length chargers, which may be a disadvantage for some users.
Does using a longer cable affect charging?
The charging process is slower when using a longer cable; this is due to increased in-line resistance. However, in practical scenarios, unless your charging cable is excessively long, the difference in charging speed is unlikely to be noticeable by you or anyone else. If you were to have a 200-meter cable, though, you would notice that charging is slower, even if it is fast charging.
What is the price of extra long phone charger cables?
As already mentioned, because they use more materials than standard and short cables, extra long phone charger cables tend to be more expensive than those other types. Also, they tend to be of better quality than standard and short charging cables. This factor also contributes to the price difference.
You will find 6-feet charging cables in stores from around from US $7, and the price heads upwards as the length increases to 10-feet (3-meter), 15-feet cables, and 20-feet phone charger cables. I found one 20-foot cable for $15 on Amazon. I am not sure what I would need it for, but I bet there are those who find such extra long lengths useful in different scenarios.