Gorilla Glass isn’t the only screen protection. There are quite a number of alternatives, one of which is Dragontrail Glass. In the sections below, we take a detailed look at it and even compare it to Gorilla Glass.
Did you know that the Pixel 3a uses Dragontrail instead of Gorilla Glass? How good is it? Let’s find out.
Table of Contents
What is Dragontrail Glass in Mobile?
Dragontrail glass is a type of scratch-resistant and damage-resistant glass that is used to protect the screens of smartphones, tablets and other electronic devices. It is made by a Japanese company called AGC (Asahi Glass Co) and it is also known as AGC Dragontrail.
Dragontrail is very hard and flexible, which prevents scratches and cracks from minor drops and rough handling. It is similar to Gorilla Glass, which is another popular protection glass for mobile devices, but it may have some advantages and disadvantages compared to it.
Asahi Dragontrail Glass vs Gorilla Glass
Here are some of the features and differences between these two glass protections:
- Dragontrail glass is made by a process called chemical strengthening, which involves replacing the sodium ions on the glass surface with larger potassium ions, creating a compressive stress that makes the glass stronger. Gorilla Glass is also made by a similar process, but it uses a bath of molten salt at high temperature to create the compressive stress.
- Dragontrail is used by some smartphone brands such as Google, Sony, Huawei, Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo, and more, while Gorilla Glass is used by many smartphone brands such as Samsung, Apple, LG, Motorola, and more, including many who use Dragontrail. They actually use Gorilla Glass more often.
- Dragontrail and Gorilla Glass have similar scratch resistance and hardness, but Gorilla Glass may have better drop resistance and durability. According to Corning, Gorilla Glass Victus 2 can withstand drops from up to two meters, while also offering double the scratch resistance of Gorilla Glass 6. There is not much technical detail available about the drop resistance and durability of Dragontrail, but some reviews suggest that it is not as good as Gorilla Glass and sapphire glass.
Dragontrail Glass phones
According to the web search results, some of the smartphones that use Dragontrail glass are:
- Google Pixel 3a
- Aquaris E4.5 and Aquaris E5
- ARCHOS 55 Diamond
- Celkon Millennia Ufeel
- Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016)
- Sony Xperia Z, Z1, Z2, and Z3
- Huawei P8, P9, and P10
- Xiaomi Mi 4, Mi 5, and Mi 6
- Oppo R7, R9, and R11
- Vivo X5, X6, and X7
Is Dragontrail Glass good?
Dragontrail is a good choice for protecting the screens of your mobile devices from scratches and minor damages. It is very light and thin, which makes it suitable for slim and sleek designs. It is also cheaper than Gorilla Glass and sapphire glass, which are the other premium protection glasses for mobile devices.
Some say that Dragontrail glass may not be as good as Gorilla Glass and sapphire glass in terms of drop resistance and durability. But seeing how well it performed in the Google Pixel 3a, that speculation might have little merit. What is sure is that it is less available and less used by smartphone models and brands when compared to Gorilla Glass.