Did you know your phone can serve as a smart remote controller? Discover how to turn your Android phone into a universal remote with ease.
However, before diving in, check if your device has an Infrared (IR) blaster – a crucial hardware component needed for this function. Smart TVs and other compatible devices will work seamlessly with your Android phone’s IR capabilities.
Table of Contents
Using Built-in Infrared (IR) Blaster
The IR blaster converts commands from your phone into infrared signals to control devices like TVs, DVDs, stereos, and set-top boxes. Check if your Android phone has the IR blaster by downloading the “IR test” app from Google Play. If your device lacks an IR blaster, consider purchasing an “IR blaster” device from online platforms like Amazon or eBay.
How to set up IR blaster on Android
- Launch Google Playstore and search for “IR blaster.”
- Choose a compatible mobile remote app with positive reviews and install it.
- Launch the app, select your IR blaster when prompted, and grant necessary permissions.
- Pick your device’s manufacturer and model from the app’s list of supported devices.
- Follow the setup instructions, and voilà, your Android phone becomes a universal remote.
Using Easy Universal TV Remote
The Easy Universal TV Remote app is a straightforward option for turning your Android phone into a remote for compatible devices. Not all phones support this app, so ensure compatibility before proceeding. To set up:
- Search and install the “Easy Universal TV Remote” app from Google Playstore.
- In the settings, select “WiFi” among the options (IR port, IR blaster, or WiFi).
- Enter the IP address of your Smart TV, ensuring both the phone and TV are on the same WiFi network.
- Choose your TV’s brand and complete the setup.
- Now, use your Android phone as a TV remote.
Using an External Pairing Device
The Logitech Harmony Hub is an external pairing device compatible with both Android and Apple devices. It works through IR, Bluetooth, or WiFi connections. To set up with your Android phone:
- Connect the hub to your phone via micro USB and let it boot up.
- Download and launch the “Harmony” app from Google Playstore.
- Set up the hub by connecting it to your WiFi network and creating a Harmony account.
- Add devices controllable via IP commands and create activities to control multiple devices simultaneously.
- The Harmony Hub can also control AC units and act as your cell phone TV remote.
Using Manufacturer Apps
Some brands like LG, Samsung, and Sony offer proprietary apps to turn your Android phone into a remote without IR technology. Both your phone and home devices should be of the same brand and connected to the same WiFi network. Download the specific app for each device you wish to control remotely. Keep in mind that not all apps can be integrated into a universal remote.